Sunday, April 28, 2013

FEATURE: Turning 27 on another Summer

I celebrated my 27th birthday last Sunday, April 28, stepping into the age of which Kurt Cobain failed to outgrow, in the same way as Kuya Boyd didn't.  It is of the same age that several of my relatives decided to step into the challenging but sweet life of marriage; and more of my friends maintained their singlehood with hopes that they will still find that perfect person in the future, not settling for less than they already have. Unlike them, well, I believe that in my 27 years I have finally felt contented with some portions of my life, a particular angle would be family and love. One thing I’d like to wish more to happen, though, would be to have more money on my name, perhaps, being able to earn more to buy a mansion in cold cash – housing plans are just too painful to imagine, but I can settle for it if I don’t have a choice.

How did I spend birthdays? There was a time in my childhood that I wished for nothing else but to have a birthday party in class. But because my birthday lands on a summer, that couldn’t happen. I didn’t go as far as planning for failed grades just to get obliged for a summer class, so my dreams of a classroom birthday party never happened. I turned out to become cynical about birthday parties for myself, actually. While I love for my family and friends to have the best time during their birthdays, I actually prefer staying with a few people and relaxing during mine. Although there was a time when my birthday was full of drunken teenagers, I’ve long decided to leave that experience for high school. 

How did I spend my 27th birthday? I am thankful that I got to spend my birthday on a summer now. This year became a month long celebration. And although I am very frugal, I did not complain about spending more than my budget just to get my relatives in Davao and toured around the place. I also enrolled my nephew, Basty, to a two week art workshop. He spent his long summer vacation here in the Durian City.

SM Lanang Trip

Blue Jazz with Manong Atiy, Niece Terese, Manang Claire, Twini Rose and Alvin (not in the picture), Nephew Basty,  and Marben.

a visit to Philippine Eagle

Back in SM Lanang for a movie with Mom

Nearing my actual birth date, my relatives had to go home to Dumaguete and Cagayan de Oro City, so it became a come-what-may week for me and my twin. Gladly, my boyfriend, Marben, invited us to the second Tienda del Mercado called Summerfaction, a concoction of food, music and fun located in Acacia, Juna Subdivision near Ateneo de Davao University Matina Campus that runs from April to May. It was cute because the event reminded me of an annual occasion in my hometown, Dumaguete, when people from neighboring cities flock to Silliman University to experience the Founder’s day celebration. On August, students of Silliman usually install wooden booths they made themselves and exhibit different kinds of goodies and tricks there. Tienda del Mercado, based on their first Sinugba Festival and now Summerfaction, is somehow going for a similar feel of outgoing fun and attention-grabbing activities. What makes the event different is its unique Davao flair which means just the right beat for party and countless product choices.  It's a food festival like no other with live acoustic entertainment and lifestyle bazaar. In fact, on May 24, one of my favorite bands, Up Dharma Down is going to grace the place and add music to Davao Summer once again.

yum!

Shake!

Smoothies esta buko avocado shake.

I met familiar faces.
Xiao Prieto and Karla Singson of Alley Cat.

Alley Cat refreshing tea

Backyard Burger
How I really spent my birthday? I was going for a relaxing massage the week before the actual date and before a family friend in Davao, who consistently asked how I was going to spend the day, convinced me to go for an out of the city trip to Canibad. After reading a bad review about Canibad, I was anxious that traveling to the place would lead to frustration and utter disaster. Thankfully, my twin and I plunged into the idea and eventually found ourselves travelling the horrible road and into the secret paradise of Canibad along with love ones and close friends. Canibad is awesome! And it became astounding because I finally spent a day there with my twin sister after long years of not being able to spend our birthday together and with my-one-true love, who makes my writing cheesy but leaves me unmindful of it anyways.







This year’s birthday is one to remember. I could probably do a better job in describing how it all happened, but I guess pictures can be of aid to me this time, most of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love. Leave a message.